Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

A New "Keeper" - Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing (NT)

Last week to honor Luke's 33rd birthday I made him a carrot cake at his request and we LOVED it!  So I thought I would share it.  :o)  The recipe I used is from the book "Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats" by Sally Fallon.  This cake was not a light fluffy one, but a rich, dense, moist, super delicious cake!  This cake serves 16-20, unless you invite me over, and I will do a good job polishing any leftovers off the next day, almost completely on my own!!!  Beware!  :O)

The recipe as follows is almost word-for-word from page 569 of Nourishing Traditions.  My comments are in pink.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c freshly ground spelt, kamut or whole wheat flour (I use wheat - I got a wheat grinder for Christmas a year ago and LOVE it!  Thanks Mama!)  :o)
1 c piima cream or créme fraiche (I used good ol' fashioned heavy whipping cream - I don't quite have the resources just yet for making my own dairy products - yet!)
1 c whole yogurt (so happy to have finally found a brand that is full-fat - hurray!!!)
1 c butter, softened (this is real, from-the-cow butter - not margarine.  Margarine is not a real food and should not be consumed by anyone for any reason.  Just sayin'.  LOL)  :o)
1 1/4 c rapadura (I use sucanat, or in a pinch, plain turbinado sugar.  These are less processed forms of sugar, though turbinado is my last choice of them. Raw honey or grade B pure maple syrup could probably be substituted.  I do not use white sugar at all in my house, or "brown" sugar either.  They are both completely and absolutely devoid of any nutritional value whatsoever.  However, if you only have white sugar it will certainly work, just realize that it changes the "health factor" of this recipe.  The same goes for white flours too.)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt (I use Redmond Real Salt because it is local for me.  It is harvested right here in Heber City, Utah not across the globe, so it's carbon footprint is much smaller.)
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple, water packed (I use the kind packed in pineapple juice - no high fructose corn syrup, here's a starting point for reading about different sweeteners.)
2 c finely grated carrots
1 c dried unsweetened coconut meat (I omitted this because I just can't stand coconut.  I know, it's weird, but I do not like it Sam I am!  :o)  I was going to use raisins instead, but we were out.)  :o(
1/2 c crispy pecans, chopped (I forgot to soak and dry my nuts, so I just used unsoaked ones.  I used walnuts instead of pecans; it's what we had on hand.)
2 c cream cheese, softened (YUM!  Probably my favorite ingredient!)  :O)
1/2 c butter, softened
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 - 3/4 c raw honey

Mix flour with yogurt and cultured cream.  Cover and leave for 12 to 24 hours in a warm place.  (This breaks down the phytate content in the grain making more digestible.  I actually left mine soaking for two whole days just sitting in my "off" oven.  I just didn't have the chance to get to it sooner.)  Line a buttered 9" by 13" Pyrex pan with buttered parchment paper and coat pan and parchment paper with flour.  (I used aluminum foil because I didn't have any parchment paper.  However I'd really like to get some.  I am not a fan of aluminum cookware in any form.  I prefer stainless steel or cast iron cook/bakeware.)  Cream butter with Rapadura (or your substitute).  Beat in eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.  Gradually add flour mixture.  Fold in pineapple with juice, carrots, coconuts and nuts.  Pour into pan and bake at 300 degrees for about 2 hours.  Let cool slightly and turn onto a platter or tray.

To make icing, place cream cheese, butter, vanilla and honey in food processor and blend until smooth.  Generously ice the top and sides of the cake.  Decorate with flowers.  (Lick the beaters and the bowl until it appears that they've been washed - don't forget to actually wash them though.  My favorite part!!!!)  :O)

Variation:  Stars and Stripes Cake
Use blueberries and raspberries to make an American flag on top of the cake.

Completely devour your cake in one sitting while watching a movie with your hubby (remember to not complain over his choice of movie because it is, after all, HIS birthday *smirk*).  Okay, save a few pieces for the kids to have for breakfast - if you can.  If there happen to be any leftovers after that, happily snack away at them every single time you walk into the kitchen!  Be sure to make up plenty of reasons to go into the kitchen all day until the cake is completely gone and hubby doesn't get any when he gets home from school...  :O)  That's about what it looked like here!!!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Would you recommend making this in two rounds so it can be made in a double layer cake? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds yummy that way. Especially with extra cream cheese frosting oozing from the two layers. YUM! :) It is a very dense cake and that would be my only concern. I definitely would not recommend more than two layers though due to the density of this delicious cake. I'm salivating right now just thinking about how long it's been since I've made this recipe! My daughter has a birthday coming up though... ;)

    Let me know how it turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little confused. How much butter goes in the cake? And how much butter goes in the frosting? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, thank you so much for catching that mistake! I have updated the recipe to include the 1/2 cup butter for the frosting. Happy baking!

      Delete